Home Forums Daytime TV The BEST and WORST of daytime 2018!

The BEST and WORST of daytime 2018!

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
SoapFan88
Jw79bull
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Fairman had a fun article today where he gives out his “best of daytime” in various categories. Here are mine, what are yours? I am also going to do some worsts too but first the BEST according to me!

Best Soap: 3 way-tie! Y&R for the first third of the year, Days for the middle, and GH for the last third.

Best Overall Performance by an Actress: Maura West as Ava Jerome, GH – the standalone episode and the death of Kiki in particular

Best Overalll Performance by an Actor: Chandler Massey as Will Horton, Days – Will gets his memories back

Best Performance by a Longer-Running Male Actor: Joshua Morrow as Nick Newman, Y&R – Christian’s paternity and the Sharon/Nick story

Best Performance by a Longer-Running Female Actress: Judi Evans as Bonnie Lockhart and Adrienne Johnson, Days – the return of Bonnie

Best Performance by a Supporting Actor: Christopher Sean as Paul Narita, Days – the triangle and the break-up

Best Performance by a Supporting Actress: Marla Adams as Dina Mergeron, Y&R – Christian’s kidnapping and going to the motel/dementia story

Best Performances by a Female Duo in a Storyline: Camila Banus as Gabi and Marci Miller as Abigal, Days – esp. for the confrontation episode

Best Performance by a Male Duo in a Storyline: Chandler Massey as Will and Freddie Smith as Sonny, Days – Will gets his memories back

Best Ensemble Performance: “Marlena’s shooting and ‘death'”, Alison Sweeney, Stacey Haiduk, Martha Madison, Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Eric Martsolf, Christopher Sean, Josh Taylor, Mary Beth Evans

Best Villain: Jon Lindstrom as Ryan Chamberlain, GH

Best Villainess: Camila Banus as Gabi Hernandez, Days

Best Individual Scene: Ava demands that Kiki gets up when she is dead

Best Younger Actor: Casey Moss as J.J. Devereaux, Days

Best Younger Actress: Chloe Lanier as Nelle Benson, GH

Best New Couple: Ben and Ciara (Robert Scott Wilson and Victoria Konefal), Days; and Peter and Maxie (Wesley Ramsey and Kirsten Storms), GH

Character who deserved the biggest slap: Gabi Hernandez, Days

Best Scene-Stealer (Male): Nicolas Bechtel as Spencer Cassadine, GH

Best Scene-Stealer (Female): Alison Sweeney as Sami Brady, Days

Best Triangle: Sonny/Will/Paul on Days – love all 3 potential couples!

Best Limited/Guest Performer: Alison Sweeney as “Hurricane Sami” Brady, Days

Best Recast: Stacey Haiduk as Susan Banks, Days (I know most of you disagree; see my worst recast)

Best New Character: Peter on GH

Best Individual Episode: the J.T. abuse reveal on Y&R, where Amelia Heinle delivers the performance of her life and breaks our hearts detailing her new knowledge that she has been abused.

Soapmaker of the Year: I choose Maura West for her work on GH.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

For “worsts” I’m going to go with over-rated instead of worst. I know that many of you disagree with me on these, which is O.K. It’s all subjective and nobody is right or wrong.

Worst Soap: The Bold and the Beautiful. I stopped watching the show about 4 months ago and have only catched a few scenes here and there since PopTV took it off their schedule. The problem: Bill Spencer ): Too much of him, and he always wins, and it’s no fun ):

Most Over-rated Actress: I didn’t enjoy Gina Tognoni’s Phyllis this year. She’s a good actress but I don’t enjoy watching her in this role. I miss her s.o.h. she had on OLTL, and her dramatic skills she showed on GL. I have never liked her take on the role of Phyllis and wish that Michelle Stafford would return to her iconic role. Runner-up: Michelle Stafford’s Nina on GH. I know many of you really have loved her performances this year, but she leaves me cold. I simply don’t like Nina and don’t care about her. it’s subjective, of course.

Most Over-rated Actor: Maurice Benard as Sonny on GH. He gets Emmy-bait material all the time. I simply can’t stand Sonny and tune out when he’s on my screen. Runner-up: boy will I get flak for this one, but Max Gail as Mike on GH. I don’t like him at all in this role. I want Ron Hale back. I am unmoved by his performances. I know everybody disagrees with me on this one! It’s subjective, I know. All I know is I am completely bored whenever he is on the show.

Worst use of a Long-term character: Bill Spencer on The Bold and the Beautiful. Must the show always revolve around him? Must he always win and never get a real comeuppance? He drags this show down for me and makes me not want to watch (ironically I think Don Diamont is a terrific actor – it’s the writing and the producing decisions that bug me).

Worst storylines: Bill gets shot and nothing really happens on B&B. Eric sues for custody of Nicole’s daughter Holly, and teams up with Sarah, and the two of them are completely irritating. Y&R’s endless boardroom shennanigans, and the plot twist that has Ashley having seeked revenge on Jack – blech! Jason and Sam redux, Nina’s child, Margaux revenge story.

Worst recast: Stacey Haiduk as Kristen DiMera, Days – loved her as Susan, hated her as Kristen. This is really strange. I loved her chemistry with everyone as Susan, and she was completely unconvincing as Kristen.

Disagree, of course, but civilly! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    SoapFan88
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just going to do a really quick list for fun! I didn’t separate by gender because I didn’t really feel the need to 🙂

Best Soap: Days of Our Lives and General Hospital. I agree with what FreemanGriffin said, except I would put Y&R a hair below these two because of the inconsistency.

Best Overall Performance by a Lead: Maura West as Ava Jerome, General Hospital. No one on soaps this year, male or female, topped her acting imo. MW is cementing herself as an icon in the same tier as Erika Slezak, Susan Flannery, etc. She better win that Emmy.

Best Overall Performance by a Supporting Character: TIE between Max Gail and Judi Evans. I can’t choose between them– their characters and stories are so radically different. They are both consistently fantastic and did great work throughout the entire year, imo.

Best Guest Performance: Kathleen Gati as Dr. O, she is fantastic. Many call her over-the-top, but she humanizes a cartoon-y character in a way that few others could.

Best Storyline: Abby/Gabby/Dr. Laura and Gabi and the DID storyline. This SL really kept me interested the whole time through, and didn’t overstay its welcome.

Worst Soap: B&B, for the same reasons above. Smh.

Worst/Most Overrated Performance by a Lead: TIE between Laura Wright as Carly Corinthos and Billy Miller as Drew Cain. I’m getting quite sick of LW– she yells through all of her scenes; I just don’t like Carly as I used to (which is sad, because she used to be a favorite of mine!) And as far as BM goes…many fans are outraged over the Jasam/Dream triangle because they think the writing is bad, but I think the actors, especially BM, are just as much to blame. He has been turning in tired performances and getting FAR too much screentime.

Worst/Most Overrated Performance by a Supporting Character: Wesley Ramsey as Peter, GH. I hate the way the writers force this character down the audience’s throats. It’s really damaging to Maxie, Dr. O, and Nina’s characters to have this character walking around town after Nathan’s death. Let alone how much character assassination went on with Anna/Finola Hughes! I don’t find WR to be such a revelation that an awful SL like this is forgivable.

Worst Storyline: See above… 🙁

Award for Doing the Most with the Least: Chloe Lanier, GH. Somehow, I find myself rooting for Nelle and appreciating all of her antics, no matter how ridiculous. Lanier pulls off even the most contrived material and makes it must-watch TV.

Most Sentimental Moment: Will gets his memories back…Chandler Massey was just fantastic!

ReplyCopy URL
    Jw79bull
    Participant
    Topics:

For “worsts” I’m going to go with over-rated instead of worst. I know that many of you disagree with me on these, which is O.K. It’s all subjective and nobody is right or wrong.

Worst Soap: The Bold and the Beautiful. I stopped watching the show about 4 months ago and have only catched a few scenes here and there since PopTV took it off their schedule. The problem: Bill Spencer ): Too much of him, and he always wins, and it’s no fun ):

Most Over-rated Actress: I didn’t enjoy Gina Tognoni’s Phyllis this year. She’s a good actress but I don’t enjoy watching her in this role. I miss her s.o.h. she had on OLTL, and her dramatic skills she showed on GL. I have never liked her take on the role of Phyllis and wish that Michelle Stafford would return to her iconic role. Runner-up: Michelle Stafford’s Nina on GH. I know many of you really have loved her performances this year, but she leaves me cold. I simply don’t like Nina and don’t care about her. it’s subjective, of course.

What is S.O.H ?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^sense of humor – she was very funny as Kelly Cramer on OLTL, at least the first time she was on; she was devoid of humor when she came back after playing Dinah on GL.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.